Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Baby's Brain

Rowan has a fever. What does this mean? It means he wants to sleep all day & I just might get to do a little catch-up here. That is, when I'm not herding baby away from electrical cords & thoroughly delicious bits of paper.

If you were wondering about the nysatgmus that appeared an earlier post, so were we. So was the doctor. In October, we took baby to get an EEG. How much fun is that? Not much, but the EEG technician was super nice & the chair was comfy, so I guess we can at least call it pleasant. Except for all the wires & stuff.

Cell phone photos... always so high quality.

Yesterday, we visited with the Pediatric Neurologist. He is the only Pediatric Neurologist in the state of Alaska -- a very busy man (hence the wait). He is also a very kind, gentle man & we took to him right away. Too bad we won't be seeing him again. Yay! Actually, as much as we liked the doctor, we are happier to leave him to his work -- with someone else -- because he says baby looks great! The EEG was normal, his examination went well & he says just watching him, he thinks this baby is going to be just fine. 

Of course, there was the one caveat that if the nystagmus (or a handful of other symptoms) (re)appears, we will have to follow up again. However, we will deal with that if it happens. For now, it's happy paper trails & cat tails for baby!

6 comments:

  1. Whew! I had no idea. Congrats on the clean bill of health!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know Missy, it's been like the drama-llamas have been following us around w/this baby. So when this next episode in the saga came up, we just decided to keep it on the DL until we knew how it was going to play out.

    And I agree, Whew! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, my dear! How scary this must have been for you. I had never heard of nystagmus, so I had to look it up. I read where gabapentin shows promise. The great thing is, GABA can be found in protein sources, particularly oily fish. GABA itself does not cross the blood-brain barrier, but eating whole foods (always a good idea, anyway), increases the availability of GABA and other nutrients that, when combined, do cross the blood brain barrier. (In case you didn't know I was a geek before...)

    I am so happy your little one is OK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed...This whole episode in your life has been such a HUGE roller coaster!!! Glad all is well...this time I had little doubt...cell phone photo looks good on the computer...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, geeks. That's why I am so fond of you. ;)

    That is interesting about the GABA -- I have been taking a double-dose of fish oil since conception & throughout pregnancy & breastfeeding. Let's hope that is helping! The nystagmus has shown itself only in two bouts, so the doctors think that is promising. I actually missed the GABA info.I burned out looking at all the nystagmus information b/c there were so many possible causes & this baby has been already been so EPIC, I think I just couldn't obsess anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liz,

    Yes, let's hope that we have made it over the biggest hills now b/c we have had quite enough, don't you think? ;)
    Nice to hear the photo come out ok on your end, it is pretty fuzzy in large size. State phone -- but it's free, ha!

    ReplyDelete